www.dtce.co.uk

www.dtce.co.uk
You don't need to live with a dog with problems - we can help

Thursday 24 November 2011

How we fix Aggressive Dogs - Part Two

Most handlers of anti-social dogs tend to tense up when they approach or are approached by another dog. This gives the wrong message to their dog. It will think there’s something wrong and react, usually with more aggression. 

The handlers would then either
1. Correct the dog (bad dog - Leave - Snatch the lead etc)
2. Reassure the dog (stroking - talking nicely - telling the dogs to calm down good dog etc)
I believe that both of the above enhance the anti-social behaviour.
1a. If I were a dog, and was told off every time another dog came near me, I’d start to tell them to keep away i.e. Growl - show aggression to make them stay away.
2a. If I was showing aggressive behaviour and my mum or dad started talking nicely to me I’d think I was doing the right thing so keep showing aggression.
How the sit works - The handlers can gently correct the bad behaviour or ignore it - Just give the dog something else to do instead i.e. Sit next to your left leg and then add the praise. This doesn’t work to begin with as the dog is used to getting its own way; in fact quite often they get worse before they get better as they usually try harder to stay as pack leader. As long as the handling remains consistent and the handler keeps working they will get better.
I’m often told that ‘my dog’ is being aggressive because its nervous.  Most of the time I don’t believe this is an accurate assessment of the dogs true nature or behaviour.  If you were nervous about something you wouldn’t run towards it; well neither would your dog!
Most aggressive dogs are just aggressive. The problem is most people would like there to be an excuse for the way their dog behaves, they don’t actually need one. If they just accept the fact their dog has a problem they can then set about curing it.  If you don’t already, I would suggest you use a muzzle, they enable you to mix and socialize your dog without worrying about it biting. Please use a basket or box type as your dog will need to pant; I wouldn’t use a cloth or nylon muzzle that holds their mouth shut for training.
Using a muzzle means you can let your dog sniff and get close to other dogs or people and if it does show aggression it cant do any damage, and all of the handlers can be more relaxed.

No comments:

Post a Comment